Tuesday, November 16, 2010

off to the barn!

so, the only way I will ever know if you like a wine or not, to learn your palate, to know what I should be suggesting for you is for you to tell me what you think of the wines I sell you, I've been asking everyone to e-mail what they thought of the wine I've sold them - this one made me laugh - and ponder:

I love a good book, and I want to believe a good bottle of wine,-------- will take me places-------somewhat like a book, get lost; so------- if you want me to comment on the vino, not only may I include clarity, smell, taste, etc., I will also say where this wine takes me in a certain moment, in a certain time. Tastin wine------ my way.
La Piazza Primitivo
Hubbie - "mouthy, good nose"
Me - "harsh, garnet color, leather comes to mind, with a snap of a finish.
Yep, Mark, took me to the horse barn.
Would I buy it again? Probably not.

perfect!

thought #1 - no more Primitivo from Italy for her - might even have to write off Zinfandel!

thought #2 - love her musings on where wine takes her - the book analogy is perfect - do we really care if it smells like green apples or a old leather saddle? re-read what she said about this wine - how can you not want to spend $10 just to see what you think? I had to open a bottle - how fun to read her thoughts juxtaposed with my palate - my own thoughts were:


deep and dark and brooding and yes, barnyardy - it took me to the barn as well ... but I happen to like that in a wine - almost every Burgundy I've ever tasted starts at the barn on the nose - goes through the raspberry/cherry patch and then finishes with a strength and purpose to make you remember them - this wine is not a polished Burgundy however the somewhat short finish reminded me of this: you know when you sprinkle pepper on a bowl of hot tomato soup and that first bite all you taste is that pepper, that's it - I would risk $10 on another bottle of this little country wine!


thought #3 - I need to reward tasters who write descriptors back! I think sometimes people are afraid to write what they think about a wine - wondering if they are right or if the "experts" think differently - doesn't matter - if you tell me what you're thinking I'm gonna find a way to make it worth your while. This particular taster I gave a bottle of a Spanish blend I'm thinking about selling - can't wait for those thoughts to show up! Two things happen - I get to give you better service and I get lots of opinions on the wines I'm selling - perfect business model!


so, please take me up on sending your thoughts - make them as descriptive as possible, make them fun, make them any way you'd like I guess but just send them in - I'll find a way to reward you - I promise!


your pal,


mt

ps: also got this text message earlier this week: "you were right - we knocked down (technical wine tasting term) two of the Goose Ridge Syrah's last night at dinner - loved 'em - if you have any more I'll take all of them!"







1 comment:

  1. Ok, so the deal was I buy this wine for 8 bucks, I tell you what I think. Well, I am a lover of this grape and I agree the La Piazza is pretty typical. Is that a good thing? What do I love about it? My wine vocabulary is limited but what I know is that the flavor is BIG-it pops! It reaches all of your tastebuds. Starts out with the cherry, finishes with the pepper and is never shy. No, this isn't a burgundy and never tries to be. This is the boy next door-friendly, approachable and lots of fun-so invite him over for burgers on the grill with some chitpotle mayo and enjoy.

    ReplyDelete