Monday, November 29, 2010

THINGS I KNOW!

I am continually amazed at the level in which people are interested in wine in the USA (say the oosah*) in general and specifically in Great Falls these days. I have been asked to do 19 wine tastings since I've opened, I've been interviewed by KRTV and the local Pubic Radio Station, people in grocery stores have called for my advice on what they should buy finding themselves in that uncomfortable predicament, I even had a guy bring a wine list over from across the room in a restaurant and ask what he should order – I find it frankly ... well, fun! So, since everyone seems so interested in the subject I've decided to publish a little of what I've learned in the past years while studying diligently about the subject I find so fascinating - here goes:

I know that Syrah and Shiraz are the same grape – that Petite Sirah is unrelated and that Zinfandel's history was under dispute for many years. Experts now agree however that it is of Croatian origin and those same experts mostly agree that parts of California and Zinfandel seem to be a match made in wine heaven. I also know I don't actually enjoy Zin's taste that much so I trust my buddy Bob DeLong to help me with this varietal – he says “It's good” - I sell it, my customers say “Hey, that was good!” - I say “Perfect”!

I know that if it says Bourgogne (Burgundy) on the label and is a red wine it is Pinot Noir, if the juice is white it's Chardonnay. If it says Chablis and is from France I know it is also part of the Burgundy region so it is a Chardonnay and I will enjoy the hell out of it - it will be steely and fresh and minerally with just a touch of fruit. I know if it says Chablis and is from the Central Valley of California I should leave it on the shelf for some other soul who probably will enjoy the hell out of it in his or her own way!

I know I love the taste of the varietal Cabernet Franc – one of my American favorites is by Lang & Reed and I further know that if I see one of these three names on a label – Chinon, Bourgueil or Samur then it is this: from the Loire Valley in France, is made solely from the Cabernet Franc grape, has a beautiful nose, an easy going palate, is on the light side in the mouth and will finish with grace and beauty.

I know that Washington State Syrah's are “on the map”. I know that if I see a Syrah from a vineyard that is in that state's Red Mountain AVA I am more than likely going to love it. It will be big, bold, darkly fruity, perfectly dry but not overly tannic - just plain drinkable. I also know that if I see a label with the words “Ciel du Cheval” on it I am REALLY going to like it – that being a vineyard on Red Mountain that lots of people are thinking may just be Washington's best – in the running for the USA's (yep, you got it – the oosah's*) best – I unfortunately know lots of people who would argue with me about this but since it's my article I get to say what I want - damn it!

I know that despite their quality, selling Washington State Syrah's is challenging – selling Australian Shiraz's over $30 is troublesome and selling Cabernet from Oregon is downright impossible – I'm OK with that last one however, why would you drink anything red from Oregon other than their phenomenal Pinot's?

I know that the percentage of red wine drinkers that frequent my website who love “Notorious B.I.G. Wines” is in the 80% range and would not like a Chinon much if I gave it to them. Therefore, I know to stock approximately 80% of my red wines to fit that “Notorious B.I.G.” category.

I know that some people love Kendall Jackson's “Reserve” Chardonnay no matter how much I rail against it – and, thank God, I know three people who were formally addicted to that “product” who have been set free and are now enjoying Vinho Verde's, Picpoul de Pinet's, German Riesling's and even – yep, it's true – the Rhone's beautiful pairing of white grapes – Roussanne and Marsanne – in fact one person reported back - “I can't even drink Chardonnay anymore” - now that's progress!

I know that a $10 bottle of wine can be good but not great – sorry to say, it's just true. The $10 bottle is enjoyable, smells lovely, has nice fruit on the palate but just can't match the complexity and length that a good, expensive bottle does. Layer upon layer going through your palate and a finish lasting minutes, even longer if you pay attention. My opinion is that if you are really, really interested in wine at some point you just have to taste a true “legendary” wine - a Domaine de la RomanĂ©e Conti, a Chateau Lafite Rothschild, a Screaming Eagle, a Penfolds Grange – and don't let someone talk you into doing it blind. Let the mystery of a “great” bottle of wine seep into your soul, let it get your heart beating in anticipation of opening it, let it sit in your cellar or if need be, your wine “fridge” for as long as it takes to reach its optimum and open it with a great deal of fanfare. Do it with wine loving friends, make it a special moment but don't wait too long for that moment. Never be afraid to be voice your own opinion but trust the experts a little and read what they think is great about your wine. Mostly, let it be an experience!

I know you are about done reading my I knows so I'll give you one last “I know” -

I know it is great fun reading, writing, talking, nosing and tasting wine – thanks for letting me be part of your wine experiences and mostly thanks for buying my wine so I can keep it up – cheers to you!

your pal,

mt

* my son and I seemed to find ourselves in a tapas bar called George's in Villanova Spain, every night for a few nights in a row when visiting a few years ago - it was next door to our apartment and the proprietor taught us to say we were from the oosah when asked – he let us play Taj Mahol's “21st Century Gypsy Singin' Lover Man” on his sound system every night – he was cool, he made us feel comfortable that being from the oosah was cool – the least we can do to say “thanks” is to pass it on – feel free to use it your own self!

No comments:

Post a Comment