Friday, October 19, 2012

my opinion only

the key to driving in Europe is the quick turn around when you realize you're lost ...

those of you who know me probably know I've never really been all that detailed oriented - so ... surprisingly, we left the Barcelona airport with a "pretty good" idea where the first winery tasting was - turned out we were only twenty minutes late - two "turn arounds" into the morning I spotted the Can Feixes winery sign on a building while going approximately 53 km/hr - threw it in reverse, took a left and drove through signs that said "privita" (clearly meant for others) and pulled up to the front gates of a winery and family home that had been making wine for - oh, seven hundred years or so!

turns out it is run by three brothers - I can't remember the brothers name that does the books - sorry to you accountant types - the other two were Joan (pronounced  joh ann) and Joseph (yo shef) - the first being the vineyard manager - the latter being the wine maker  - they were super impressed with my wine knowledge - oops - got that backwards - their mum still lives in the 15th century house that was built with a tower to fend off marauders trying to take their wine - obviously, we didn't - they've added plumbing  and a few other modern amenities but most impressively they still sport a "family" chapel - how useful might that be after a night of escapades - just get the damn confession over with in my own chapel before bed ... by the way, the wine was simply- fantastico!

then ... no sleep in 24 hours and having tasted 5 wines obviously meant I should drive for 2 hours - through three wrong turns this time - up into the mountains of Spain - I'm talking about hairpin turns where Gran Prix drivers must have learned their trade to the Priorat wine regions - to date - the most beautiful wine region - for me - ever! (hmmm,, can you hear that Spanish accent kicking in already?) I tasted the wines of Cellars Pasanau - I can't tell you what I thought or "the boy who cried best wine ever" would appear but I'm telling you - if you want to taste a pure expression of southern Spanish wine ...

off to eat a pigs liver and lamb chops* with Catolonian roasted vegetables so have to quit now - tomorrow we head to the coast and another tasting and then popping in to my favorite bar in Spain - until then

cheers from your pal,

mt

* - maybe - or it might be I'm having a ham sandwich and cheesey fries - also forgot the Spanish translation book at home


No comments:

Post a Comment