Monday, October 22, 2012

today we are on holiday!


only plan was a leisurely drive through the beautiful Rioja countryside on our way to spend the day in the city of Pamplona - I thought - like most of us - that it was a small, ancient village who's claim to fame is the "running of the bulls" - I was so wrong - it is actually a bustling city of 200,000 - is modern and beautiful - seems very affluent and progressive - even the street where they run the bulls  is very modern and well kept - loved the place!

walked around town - ate tapas - drank wine - watched "football" - very uneventful - well until our evening tapas - we were sitting, minding our own business when I felt someone's hands in my hair - I turned around and there was a beautiful Spanish dame, running her fingers through my hair - of course I was flattered but am currently in a solid relationshi ...

or ...

it was really an old man - drunk off his ass - talking in hyper-Spanish - very loudly - about me in a degrading manner to the entire bar - he then decides to put both of his hands on my shoulders and tell me - very closely - something super smart I'm sure - in slurring, drunken Spanish - wow!

now, you all know my friends so you know I've done my fair share of dealing with drunks in a bar - it's just a little harder with a language barrier - "no compremde" was not working - he just wouldn't leave me alone - my theory was his dad must have been the Barber of Seville and he wasn't all that happy about the length of my hair - finally a couple of guys came to my rescue and shooed him away - we bought them drinks and they apologized for the entire population of Pamplona - "he's just drunk" they said in a moment of ultimate understatement - I nodded and said "no problemo" - then I beamed a big old smile knowing that in that bar - on that night - I had been able to use my entire Spanish vocabulary - "perfecto"!

walking home we passed a Hemingway haunt - clearly had to buy a cigar and a drink and give the old man a toast - next we dropped by an Irish pub where John and I solved the worlds problems - eventful after all ...

today we were on holiday

your pal,

European Tronson


No comments:

Post a Comment